Whether you appreciate winter or prefer the warmer months in Auburn, many of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a large impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that should be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it needs to be replaced. We recommend at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can fix temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The team at Forster Heating can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Forster Heating in Auburn a call to get started. Give us a shout at 530-885-8081 or schedule an appointment with us online.